Often we wish for casual games with which we can pass time. This is especially true for mobile games and old school arcade games. Pixel Dungeon is one such game which is available on smartphones and has high replay value along with classic 8 bit graphics. However, it is not available for Windows. But there is little to worry as it can be played on Windows as well via Bluestacks – which is an Android emulator with Google’s play store access.
The Game Itself:
Pixel Dungeon is based on classic 8-bit blocky graphics which were common with NES and SEGA. However, unlike modern games where levels are scripted and hence you can’t replay them too much, Pixel Dungeon generates levels on the fly and hence you will never see the same level again. Not only that, the game goes a step further and even the health packs and weapons change as well i.e. if a green potion was a power up in previous level, it may turn out to be poison in this one. Being rogue-like, death is a part of the game and you fight, die, spawn and play again. Hunger is also an inherent part where you have to keep your character fed otherwise you start to loose hitpoints.
Gameplay is simple enough with 2D horizontal and vertical movements and attacks using various weapons. You have to explore the levels in order to avoid monsters and the levels are arranged like a maze. You start with any of the 3 types of characters –
- Warrior – where you have high strength, a great swordsman and food restores HP.
- Mage – you can cast spells, wand regenerates faster and wand knows which scrolls identify items.
- Rogue – Missile weapons are more accurate, increases evasion and lasts longer without food and knows which scrolls reveals the whole map.
Levels contain various items such as food, potions, HP points, scrolls, etc. Levels also feature bosses which you have to fight and as you go deeper, it gets harder. There is no level up or any kind of in app purchases either. And the best part it’s absolutely free of cost!
Let us have a look at how to get it up and running in your PC.
Running it on Windows PC:
Android games and apps are as such not available to run on your standard PC. They can be installed by installing Google developer tools for android but it is not easy to execute APK files via that. Bluestacks is an android emulator that simplifies the task.
- Download the latest version of Bluestacks for Windows using this link.
- Select the language and set your Google mail ID to create play store account.
- In the search bar type “Pixel Dungeon” and search.
- When it shows up, click on it which takes you to the Play store page.
- Click “Install” and it will download and install the game.
- Launch the game from the main menu where you can see it’s icon by clicking on it.
With these simple steps it is possible to play this classic arcade game on Windows without any hacks and the best of all – it is completely free!